Campbell House Artifacts On Display At Library
Preservation Longview’s continuing effort to restore the Judge Campbell House has yielded some interesting artifacts as the work continues.
These artifacts are on display through February 1 at the Longview Public Library at 222. W. Cotton Street.
The Judge Campbell House was built in 1872, one year after the city of Longview was incorporated. Longview was the hub of East Texas due to the junction of the east/west trains and the north/south trains.
Judge J.N. Campbell lived in this house and entertained distinguished guests of the judiciary and clergy. Judge Campbell's brother, Governor Thomas M. Campbell, stayed in the house on his visits, and built his house in close proximity, which has since been destroyed.
In 1965, the Judge Campbell House earned the distinction of Texas Historic Landmark; also eligible to be placed on the National Historic Register. Unfortunately, this Victorian home fell into disrepair and was slated for demolition.
Preservation Longview's first project is to restore this architecturally significant home as the centerpiece of Longview's historic South Main Neighborhood.
In February 2009, the house was placed on the 2009 Texas' Most Endangered List by Preservation Texas.
The Longview Public Library is open 10 a.m.-6 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 1-5 p.m. on Sundays.