Edom

Edom established itself as an arts community years ago. The town formed in 1855 and quickly became a major stopover site for lumberjacks, freighters, traders and cattle drives. By the 1860s, its roads were lined with churches and saloons, as well as a wagon factory, sawmill, hotel, leather-goods shop, tannery, school and cemetery. Farming flourished as the community grew and by 1914, the community had added four general stores and a cotton gin. The mid to latter twentieth century saw many rural communities, including Edom, shrink as people left for the cities. In 1971, though, potter Doug Brown moved to town, soon followed by other artists who purchased several old buildings along Farm Road 279 and established the annual Edom Festival of the Arts that has helped turn the town into a regional draw. Today, art shops in the downtown area include Potters Brown, Zeke & Marty, Ken Carpenter Jewelry, Arbor Castle Birdhouses, and The Old Firehouse Gallery. A nationally-recognized restaurant, The Shed Café receives visitors daily from all over Texas and beyond. www.visitedom.com

Edit ModuleShow Tags Edit ModuleShow Tags