Discovery of Rock Wall Led to Town’s Name
The town of Rockwall was established April 17, 1854, and named after a natural formation of an underground “wall” located nearby. Early settlers discovered the formations — some a few stories high— while digging for water wells. Geologists claim such underground walls are not uncommon, but rumors persist that they were made by some advanced yet prehistoric society. Most of the land is on private property, but some stones excavated from portions of the wall are on display outside the Rockwall County Historical Foundation Museum. The museum is located in the Manson-LaMoreaux-Hartman House in Harry Myers Park on Washington Street. See the County Line archives for numerous articles about Rockwall.