Brookshire Brothers Started Grocery Chain in Lufkin
On September 21, 1921, brothers Austin and Tom Brookshire opened the first “Brookshire Brothers” grocery store in Lufkin, Texas. They wanted a regional presence so they grew to operating 33 grocery stores in East Texas. Two other family members broke off in 1929 to form what is now the Brookshire Grocery Company with four stores in Tyler. And the rest is history. See County Line archives for more, www.countylinemagazine.com.