On December 1, 1988, the D. and A. Oppenheimer bank, one of the oldest in Texas, closed. The bank was founded by brothers Daniel and Anton Oppenheimer, Bavarian immigrants who settled in Rusk in the 1850s. From 1858 to 1861 they operated as small merchants in Rusk and the surrounding area.
In 1861, the Oppenheimers closed their store and joined the Confederate Army. After the Civil War the brothers moved to San Antonio and opened a bank in addition to their mercantile business. They also began trading goods to ranchers for cattle and buying land.
The Oppenheimers financed many of the cattle drives up the Chisholm Trail. At one time they ran 15,000 head on ranches, and they were among the pioneers of the Texas goat and mohair industry.
Anton died in 1906, and in 1908 Daniel sold their largest ranch and cattle for $1 million and invested it in the D. and A. Oppenheimer bank. Daniel died in 1915.
Daniel's son Frederic, a physician, married into the Joske family and became manager of Joske's Department Store. He and his wife became noted art collectors. (Information from Texas State Historical Association)