On December 17, 1845, two partners named John Jordan and A.T. McGee acquired land newly opened for settlement near what is now Grand Saline, Texas.
From the Cherokee Indians who had the land before, they learned that a salty marsh there could produce salt through evaporation methods. Over time, a total of three miles were active in the Grand Saline area, and Van Zandt County became known as the "Salt Capital of Texas."
The Morton Salt company bought the mines over time by 1920 and still operates the remaining salt mine there today. Visit The Salt Palace in Grand Saline for more information.