Everyone can benefit from extra advice and ideas in the kitchen. Thanks to virtual cooking classes offered by chefs, dietitians, and other culinary connoisseurs who want to share the benefits of cooking at home, great cooking techniques and demonstrations are now widely available.
Participants must register for classes a few days beforehand at the links below and tune in at the assigned time. Some classes list their ingredients the week before and even send recipes so viewers can follow along in their own kitchens.
Homemade is an organization founded by chef entrepreneurs who offer free cooking classes to encourage home cooking and use of recipes with Earth-friendly ingredients. Weekly classes are taught by chefs virtually through Zoom; closed captioning is available.
- Homemade Roxy Brick Chicken with Salsa Verde, 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 14
- Homemade Pickle Brined Fried Chicken on Cheddar Biscuits, 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 21
- Spinach Feta Spanakopita, 6 o.m., Thursday, July 22
- Jambalaya with Saffron Aioli, 6 p.m., Tuesday, July 27
- Cheese Soufflé and Summer Salad with Green Goddess Dressing, 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 28
- Homemade Lobster Club Sandwich, 6 p.m., Wednesday, August 4
- Homemade Tomato Risotto with Burrata and Basil, 6 p.m., Tuesday, August 10
Good for Your Soul: A Cooking Show airs every Wednesday at 5 p.m. The program features a different chef each week who prepares a soul food dish with common ingredients. Sign up HERE.
Another series that runs through November is Cuisines of Different Cultures, a series of cooking demonstrations of food from around the world by the Atlantic Institute.
The shows air the third Saturday of each month at 11:30 a.m. and feature flavors and scents from favorite cultural cuisines. Register beforehand HERE for each demonstration.
- Cake Decorating, July 17, 2021
- Noah's Pudding, a Turkish Dessert, August 21, 2021
- Spaghetti Squash Chicken Chow Mein, September 18, 2021
- Apple Bread Pudding, October 16, 2021
- Gingerbread Cookie Trifle, November 20, 2021
Junior cooks ages seven to eighteen will enjoy virtual cooking classes with the Summer Road Trip Series: Junior Chef Creations. Classes are taught by nutritionists on Wednesdays at 3 p.m. Central Time from June through September 1 and recipes are already published online HERE. Each recipe is based on a trip around the 50 states, so register HERE and gather the kids around the laptop for these quick 30-minute Zoom lessons sponsored by GIANT foods:
- HAWAII: Pineapple Coconut Quick Bread, July 14
- ALASKA: Blueberry Lemon Mug Cake, July 21
- CALIFORNIA: California Sushi Roll Bowls, July 28
- COLORADO: Palisade Peach Cobbler, August 4
- NEW MEXICO: Southwest Pinwheels, August 11
- INDIANA: Corn & Zucchini Fritters, August 18
- ALABAMA: Bama Banana Pudding Parfait, August 25
- VERMONT: Maple Cinnamon Pancake Muffins, September 1