Discovery of Rock Wall Led to Town’s Name

The town of Rockwall was established April 17, 1854, and named after a natural formation of an underground "wall" located nearby. Early settlers discovered the formations — some a few stories high— while digging for water wells. Geologists claim such underground walls are not uncommon, but rumors persist that they were made by some advanced yet prehistoric society. Most of the land is on private property, but some stones excavated from portions of the wall are on display outside the Rockwall County Historical Foundation Museum. The museum is located in the Manson-LaMoreaux-Hartman House in Harry Myers Park on Washington Street. See the County Line archives for numerous articles about Rockwall.


(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.